By John G. Cawelti
Read or Download Adventure, Mystery, and Romance: Formula Stories as Art and Popular Culture (Phoenix Series) PDF
Best literary gothic & romantic criticism books
Aesthetic Materialism: electrical energy and American Romanticism makes a speciality of American romantic writers' makes an attempt to theorize aesthetic event throughout the language of electrical energy. in line with clinical and technological advancements, so much significantly the telegraph, eighteenth- and nineteenth-century electric imagery mirrored the mysterious workings of the actual brain in addition to the doubtful, occasionally surprising connections among members.
Once we think about Benjamin Disraeli (1804–81), one among photographs unavoidably first springs to brain: both Disraeli the two-time top minister of england, or Disraeli the writer of significant novels similar to Coningsby, Sybil, and Endymion. yet have been those aspects of his character fullyyt separate? in the end, the routine fable constructions in Disraeli’s fictions endure a notable similarity to the imaginitive ways that he formed his political profession.
Romantic Englishness investigates how narratives of localised selfhood in English Romantic writing are produced when it comes to nationwide and transnational formations. This publication specializes in autobiographical texts by way of authors reminiscent of John Clare, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, William Hazlitt, Charles Lamb, and William Wordsworth.
What's love? pop culture bombards us with notions of the intoxicating capacities of affection or of beguiling girls who can bewitch or heal—to the purpose that you'll be able to think that such pictures are undying and common. no longer so, argues Laine Doggett in Love treatments. facets of affection which are expressed in renowned music—such as “love is a drug,” “sexual healing,” and “love potion quantity nine”—trace deep roots to outdated French romance of the excessive center a while.
- The Female Thermometer: Eighteenth-Century Culture and the Invention of the Uncanny (Ideologies of Desire)
- Autobiography and Natural Science in the Age of Romanticism: Rousseau, Goethe, Thoreau
- Performing Virginity and Testing Chastity in the Middle Ages (Routledge Research in Medieval Studies)
- The Fantastic Vampire: Studies in the Children of the Night--Selected Essays from the Eighteenth International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts: ... to the Study of Science Fiction and Fantasy)
- Tracing War in British Enlightenment and Romantic Culture (Palgrave Studies in the Enlightenment, Romanticism and the Cultures of Print)
- Technologies of the Gothic in Literature and Culture: Technogothics (Routledge Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Literature)
Extra resources for Adventure, Mystery, and Romance: Formula Stories as Art and Popular Culture (Phoenix Series)
Adventure, Mystery, and Romance: Formula Stories as Art and Popular Culture (Phoenix Series) by John G. Cawelti